- Collect data once and use it many times
- Develop standards across disciplines as well as within them
- Process and validate data at different levels. Structures are already developing at national level but infrastructure at sea-basin and European level is needed
- Provide sustainable financing at an EU level so as to extract maximum value from the efforts of individual Member States
- Build on existing efforts where data communities have already organized themselves
- Develop a decision-making process for priorities that is user-driven
- Accompany data with statements on ownership, accuracy and precision, and
- Recognise that marine data is a public good and discourage cost-recovery pricing from public bodies.